Friday, October 28, 2022

Power in Choice - Stories and Questions

 


Story #1

If you have ever been around a toddler, you know that the power struggles are frequent and very real! Even young kids know that they always have choice, and they fight for that right with all that they are! (Unless their will has been broken through constant abuse, but that’s a topic for another time).

As a parent, I fight for power just as frequently it seems, and it is in this role where I struggle with imbalanced power the most. It shows up in the little day to day things, simple situations like the following story.

My eldest daughter had a soccer game one night and we were running late. We were all rushing for shoes and last-minute bathroom visits, while I was yelling for everyone to get in the car. I wanted my youngest (3 years old at the time) to put on his more practical shoes that I knew he could walk fast in. He told me, “No! I want to wear my boots!” I repeated myself by telling him to put on his sandals, and then added in the threat that he isn’t allowed to get in the car until he does.

I knew that he was excited to go to the soccer game, and I was going to keep it from him until he listened to me. But as soon as that threat came out of my mouth, I realized how illogical my threat was because I wanted everyone in the car as soon as possible. It was this moment of awareness that I evaluated my intentions.

I wanted him to wear shoes that he could walk quickly in so we could move along where we needed to go. It would be more convenient if he would just wear the shoes I knew would be best. He wanted to wear his big, sweaty boots that he could barely walk in. He didn’t understand all my reasons and I didn’t want him complaining to me later. But ultimately, my intentions were that I wanted him to wear a certain pair of shoes for my convenience and to not let him get away with telling me “no.”

Realistically, there was nothing wrong with him choosing to wear his favorite boots and learning for himself if sweaty feet is what he actually likes or not. There was no immediate danger to his life, or healthy boundaries being disrespected. Everything would be just fine if I walked more slowly with him while everyone else hurried to the game. To force him to wear sandals at this point would only be demanding that he comply to my will.

The sudden self-awareness of where I was coming from caused me to quickly shift gears and back down. 

Could I support him, even though I disagreed with his choice and may have to deal with some inconveniences? Yes. Can I empower him to gain more experience with different shoes so that he can be more independent in his choices going forward? Absolutely.

In the end, I chose to empower my child rather than seek to control him.

He did learn that boots are hard to run in and make his feet sweaty (which he expressed with great displeasure). When the next soccer game happened, I gently reminded him that his boots are hard to run in and asked him to wear his sandals. Without a fight, and with our wills aligned, he put on his sandals and got in the car.

 

 

Story #2

Our local High School Varsity Football team was playing their last home game of the season. Shortly after the game started, I heard the loud speakers and the cheering crowd from inside my house. On impulse, I decided to take all four of my kids to the game for the sake of adventure. We quickly got dressed and made our way to the High School.

By the time we made it to the stands, my two youngest children (ages 4 and 5) had already tested my patience a handful of times. We found a place to sit and we enjoyed the second quarter of the game, but by the end of the 3rd quarter I was done.

My two youngest thought it funny to see how far they could get away from me before I noticed. It was dark outside and there were lots of people in an unfamiliar place. I was no longer willing to stay and let my kids push the boundaries for their safety. So we packed up and headed out.

As we were nearing the parking lot, my 4-year-old son, dressed in dark clothing, took off running into the poor-lit parking right towards an oncoming vehicle. I caught hold of him and told him that he would need to hold my hand or I would carry him. This highly stubborn child refused those two options and immediately tried to run off again.

I took hold of him and slung him over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes and set off towards the car, with the other kids trailing close behind me. My son fought me tooth and nail while screaming at me as loud as he could. He was ticked! And I was just as angry and frustrated. It was not easy holding on to a writhing anaconda-child so that he didn’t go crashing to the pavement! 

We eventually made it home and I got the kids to bed. My son was still so upset that I had forced him to be carried. As I tucked him into bed, he asked if I still loved him and why I tried to “choke” him by holding him so tightly. I explained that I had held on to him to keep him safe because I love him. I reassured him until he smiled and gave me a hug. But I still felt awful because I felt like that situation was a big, fat parenting fail.  

So, with the kids in bed, I took the time to evaluate how it had all gone. I had been learning about balanced power and the dynamics of anger, so this seemed a perfect moment to increase my understanding of the concept.

Was he wrong to feel angry? No. He was understandably upset at being restrained from what he wanted to do. However, he was completely ignoring a boundary meant to keep him from immediate danger. That wasn’t okay.

Was I wrong to feel angry? No. I was holding boundary lines to protect someone who doesn’t yet have the mental capacity and understanding of the situation to protect himself. Though I used force, I came to realize that it wasn’t an abuse of power because of the immediate danger and the responsibility I had as a parent in that moment. I did my best to make sure he learned something from the experience, but most importantly I assured him of my love.

I learned that it is balanced to protect those who cannot protect themselves or even those who ask for assistance. This isn’t a forcing of will upon another, but good heart-intention.

On the other hand, if another person has the ability to protect themselves and does not want assistance, it isn’t my responsibility to do it for them. To intervene here would be imbalance, regardless of how much I care about them. My job is to give support and guidance that the person is willing to receive, and to let them learn and gain experience of their own in a shame-free environment. 




SELF-EVALUATION QUESTIONS:

 

When faced with making a choice, check in and ask:

1.      1. What do I desire to yield to?

2.      2. What do I desire to resist?

3.      3. What is my heart’s “yes” and “no?”

4.      4. Which is louder, my heart’s “yes” or my heart’s “no?” Why?

5.      5. Why is this my heart’s “yes”/”no”? (ask this until you get to the root reason that resonates with your heart, not your mind).

6.     6. Are my intentions balanced? Why or why not?

7.      7. If there is fear in my heart, what do I need to do to flip that fear into self-empowerment?

8.      8. Is there anyone in my space that I am neglecting, silencing, diminishing, or using on any level? What are my intentions behind how I treat this person?

9.      9. Am I choosing to be the vessel of someone else’s will because I feel obligation and/or guilt? What am I worried about that is repressing my power?


When you know the what and the why of your will, ask:

1.     1.  What am I accountable for?

2.    2.  What actions are my responsibility in order for me to move forward?

3.    3. What can I do to carry out my own will without pushing responsibility on anyone else?

4.    4. Do I have any expectations for others in regards to my will? If so, how do I let those expectations go?

5.    5. How do I move forward without fear or trying to control people and circumstances?

6.    6. Am I using my emotions, mind, or body in a way that pushes others to do what I want them to? If so, what can I do to move back to balance?

7.    7. If I empower myself, what am I capable of doing?


When you feel angry, check in to see where you are in your relationship with power.

1.     1.  Are you feeling angry because your boundaries are not being respected?

2.   2. Are you angry because others are not doing what you think they should be doing?

3.   3. Do you feel angry because of all the resentment built up inside from doing so much for others out of obligation?

4.   4. Are you angry because someone told you “no?”

5.   5. Do you feel angry because someone chose not to listen to you?

6.   6. Do you feel angry because you are feeling protective?

7.   7. Do you feel angry because, under the surface, you are actually feeling afraid of not being good enough?

8.   8. Do I feel resentment or bitterness? If so, how am I giving up my power? What am I saying “yes” to that my heart says “no” to?

***Anger can show up in so many different situations. Ask yourself whatever questions you need in order to understand what you are doing with your power.

When there is a controversy or argument between people, pay attention to how anger shows up.

1.  1. Is the anger coming from a pushing of wills?

2.  2. Is it coming from holding up a boundary line?

3.  3. Is the anger expressed in self-protection or a protection of rights?

4.  4. Is the anger being expressed through blaming or threats?

 

A person balanced in power sees the strengths of another and empowers that person to use those strengths for good and for further growth.

A person balanced in power sees the weakness of another and empowers and supports that person to work with the weakness until it becomes a strength.

A person imbalanced in power sees weakness of another and uses that weakness against the other person for personal gain and control.

A person imbalanced in power sees the strength of another and seeks to harness and manipulate the strength until it becomes the downfall of the other person.

A person imbalanced in power denies their own strength and will by relenting to the desires and will of others.




All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment